What is the Project Management Institute (PMI)?
What is PMI?
The Project Management Institute (PMI) is a global non-profit membership association with over 700,000 members worldwide. With its presence spanning across the globe, PMI provides advocacy for project management in many ways. For over 30 years, PMI has offered certification and is highly respected by governments and organizations worldwide.
The Project Management Institute (PMI) was formed in 1969 after a group of individuals involved in a wide range of industries, such as engineering, pharmaceutical and communications, realized a changing world needed new tools. Motivated by the need to address complex projects, PMI was created.
What is it like to manage a project?
Project management is the use of specific knowledge, skills, tools, and techniques to deliver something of value to people.
The changing nature of work means that work is increasingly organized around projects, with teams being brought together based on specific skills for certain tasks. Leading these projects are Project Professionals – people who ensure that a team meets its desired goals.
Project Professionals lead a team using many different tools, techniques, and approaches to meet the needs of a project. Project Professionals use a variety of skills and knowledge to engage and motivate others to reach the eventual goal of a project, and therefore they are critical to a company of team's success.
Why should I get a Diploma in Project Management?
The Diploma in Project Management (PMI) course is designed to offer a comprehensive insight and a solid foundation for an individual wishing to pursue a career in project management across a range of diverse industries. A globally recognized certification, a PMI qualification shows employers that you have the knowledge, experience, and education to effectively contribute to project team success. A PMI certification is a valuable investment in your career, and yourself.
Top 5 reasons to earn a PMI certification
1. Credibility. Provide an unbiased and reliable means to validate your domain knowledge and professional experience. For over 30 years, PMI has offered certification and is a globally recognized leader in the industry.
2. Transferability. PMI certification is not tied to any one specific methodology, industry, or region. A PMI certification can move and adapt with your career.
3. Competitive advantage. Be more marketable. Many certification holders achieve salary increases, career advancement opportunities, and employer recognition.
4. Commitment. Emphasize your commitment to professional growth. By earning and maintaining a PMI certification, you continue to develop your knowledge, skills, and abilities to stay current as the profession evolves.
5. Relevance. Demonstrate your relevance with certifications that are developed by practitioners, upheld by rigor
Dorset College is an Authorized Training Provider (ATP) for the Project Management Institute and all our instructors have completed the PMI Authorized Training Partner program, qualifying them to offer PMP exam prep.
For a deeper understanding of what it is like to manage a project and advance in the world of project management, speak with a Course Advisor about the Diploma in Project Management with Dorset College Dublin. Email [email protected] for further information.
Find out more: https://www.pmi.org/about/learn-about-pmi/what-is-project-management